20150820

Student written responses: technology use policy in class

Physics 205A, fall semester 2015
Cuesta College, San Luis Obispo, CA

"I Forgot My Phone"
Charlene deGuzman and Miles Crawford
http://youtu.be/OINa46HeWg8

Students fill out an index card with their written response to an instructor-selected question, turned in at the end of every class. Full credit is given for completion in a thoughtful manner, regardless if whether their answers are correct/incorrect. Selected results/questions/comments are addressed by the instructor at the start of the following lecture.

The following questions were asked on their attitudes towards the appropriateness of texting and social networking smartphone use in class, in order to formulate a consensus-based class-wide policy.

Regarding non-instructional use of electronic devices by yourself and others around you, how important to you is it to have a distraction-free learning environment in class?
Not important at all.  ********* [9]
Somewhat important.   *************************************** [39]
Very important.   ************************* [25]
Absolutely essential.   ********* [9]
(Unsure/guessing/lost/help!)   [0]

Selected/edited responses are given below.
As long as there is no vibrations or noise, I don't care if people use their phones. If they don't want to learn or pay attention that is up to them. It's their money and their grade."

"I'm here to learn, not socialize with people around the world."

"When there is a lot of distraction in class it takes away from my ability to learn, as much as I'd like to think I learn just as well with distractions, I don't."

"I get distracted very easily and need a quiet environment to study in."

"This important for me because it makes the learning environment distraction-free and allows me to focus on the work in class than others around me."

Non-instructional use of electronic devices in class should occur:
frequently.  **** [4]
occasionally.   ************************************** [38]
rarely.   ********************************** [34]
never.   ***** [5]
(Unsure/guessing/lost/help!)   [0]

Selected/edited responses are given below.
"I don't think it should be okay for people to blatantly have their phones out constantly."

"I'm always scheduling stuff and checking with coworkers on who's covering whose shifts."

"I personally use my phone as a watch and a calculator."

"No videos and no off-topic use of laptops visible to people behind you."

"Sometimes things happen in life such that communication is important. Just limit it."

"Taking pictures of notes, etc."

"As a single parent I need to keep an eye for emergency class regarding my child, which means I will periodically look at my phone during class."

"If it's important and not taking away from group work, then it should be fine."

Previous posts:
  • Flashcard question: texting/social networking in class (spring semester 2015).
  • Flashcard question: texting/social networking in class (fall semester 2014).
  • Flashcard question: texting/social networking in class (spring semester 2014).
  • Flashcard question: texting/social networking in class (fall semester 2013).
  • Flashcard question: texting/social networking in class (fall semester 2011).
  • No comments: