20150820

Student written responses: technology use policy in class (SLO campus)

Astronomy 210, fall semester 2015
Cuesta College, San Luis Obispo, CA

"I Forgot My Phone"
Charlene deGuzman and Miles Crawford
http://youtu.be/OINa46HeWg8

Students fill out an index card with their written response to an instructor-selected question, turned in at the end of every class. Full credit is given for completion in a thoughtful manner, regardless if whether their answers are correct/incorrect. Selected results/questions/comments are addressed by the instructor at the start of the following lecture.

The following questions were asked on their attitudes towards the appropriateness of texting and social networking smartphone use in class, in order to formulate a consensus-based class-wide policy.

Regarding non-instructional use of electronic devices by yourself and others around you, how important to you is it to have a distraction-free learning environment in class?
Not important at all.  * [1]
Somewhat important.   ***************** [17]
Very important.   ********************** [22]
Absolutely essential.   ***** [5]
(Unsure/guessing/lost/help!)   [0]

Selected/edited responses are given below.
"Personally I don't use my phone often, but I know that technology is always changing and in order to stay productive I must learn to work with new types of distractions. Look at tomorrow, not today."

"I already have a tough time staying focused on lectures and group work if my own phone is out."

"Every student deserves a distraction-free classroom."

"It's okay if someone needs to check their phone for a second for an important call or text, but to be on it constantly isn't cool."

"We should focus all of our attention on such a dope class like astronomy--but sometimes phones are needed."

"I want to be able to hear everything the instructor says, but I am easily distracted. I came here to learn and get a good grade; I need to focus to achieve that."

Non-instructional use of electronic devices in class should occur:
frequently.  ** [2]
occasionally.   *************** [15]
rarely.   *************************** [27]
never.   * [1]
(Unsure/guessing/lost/help!)   [0]

Selected/edited responses are given below.
"I am dedicating time and money to this; personally I don't need to distract myself. Anyone who matters to me knows where I am."

"I am paying for my education and I am here to learn. If there is an emergency and you need to take the call, leave the room."

"Phones should be kept nearby for emergencies and whatnot, but they shouldn't be used recreationally during class unless it's break time."

"If on silent or vibrate: don't care. If used but lots of noise: not cool."

Previous posts:
  • Flashcard question: texting/social networking in class (spring semester 2015).
  • Flashcard question: texting/social networking in class (fall semester 2014).
  • Flashcard question: texting/social networking in class (spring semester 2014).
  • Flashcard question: texting/social networking in class (fall semester 2013).
  • Flashcard question: texting/social networking in class (fall semester 2011).
  • No comments: