20140225

Online reading assignment: runaway planets, jovian planets, and dwarf planets (oh my!) (NC campus)

Astronomy 210, spring semester 2014
Cuesta College, San Luis Obispo, CA

Students have a weekly online reading assignment (hosted by SurveyMonkey.com), where they answer questions based on reading their textbook, material covered in previous lectures, opinion questions, and/or asking (anonymous) questions or making (anonymous) comments. Full credit is given for completing the online reading assignment before next week's lecture, regardless if whether their answers are correct/incorrect. Selected results/questions/comments are addressed by the instructor at the start of the following lecture.

The following questions were asked on reading textbook chapters and previewing presentations on runaway planets (Venus and Mars), jovian planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune), and the dwarf planets (and the International Astronomy Union classification scheme).

Selected/edited responses are given below.

Describe something you found interesting from the assigned textbook reading or presentation preview, and explain why this was personally interesting for you.
"I find it interesting to take a look at each planet separately and their about their various differing and similar attributes. Really fascinating to me!"

"I found it interesting that Venus is so like Earth when it comes to mass and they are both relatively close to the sun, but their surfaces are completely different."

"The fact that a shield volcano on Mars is the size of Missouri."

"For a while I assumed that Mars was red because it was hot, I didn't realize it was just the coloring of the minerals on its surface."

"How Jupiter atmosphere goes from gas to liquid as you go deep into the planet and the two elements don't necessary have a boundary between each other."

Describe something you found confusing from the assigned textbook reading or presentation preview, and explain why this was personally confusing for you.
"When thinking about surface age, I find that I have to think carefully about the processes taking place such as: lava flow, large impact craters, small craters to determine which came first, second and last. I have to slowly visualize the process in my mind. that's how I learn best."

"Global warming has always been a littler confusing. I never totally understood why there was global warming."

"When thinking about surface age, I find that I have to think carefully about the processes taking place such as: lava flow, large impact craters, small craters to determine which came first, second and last. I have to slowly visualize the process in my mind. that's how I learn best."

"I found it a little confusing why Neptune has more atmospheric circulation than Uranus even though it is farther from the sun."

Identify the relative amounts of these characteristics for Venus, compared to Earth. (Only correct responses shown.)
Volcanic outgassing, up until now: about the same as Earth [50%]
Heat from the sun: more than Earth [78%]
Amount of atmosphere, today: more than Earth [61%]
Interior core heat, today: about the same as Earth [22%]
Geologic activity, today: less than Earth [67%]

Identify the relative amounts of these characteristics for Mars, compared to Earth. (Only correct responses shown.)
Volcanic outgassing, up until now: less than Earth [55%]
Heat from the sun: less than Earth [72%]
Amount of atmosphere, today: less than Earth [83%]
Interior core heat, today: less than Earth [77%]
Geologic activity, today: less than Earth [100%]

Which jovian planet has the coolest interior temperatures?
Jupiter (most massive).  *** [3]
Saturn (most prominent rings).  * [1]
Uranus (least active weather patterns).  ********* [9]
Neptune (farthest from the sun).  ***** [5]
(Unsure/guessing/lost/help!)  [0]

I believe Pluto should be a planet.
Strongly disagree.  [0]
Disagree.  *** [3]
Neutral.  ******** [8]
Agree.  ******* [7]
Strongly Agree.  [0]

Briefly explain your answer to the previous question (whether Pluto should be a planet).
"I have ALWAYS known Pluto as a planet."

"I remember being really mad in third grade when I couldn't do my planet report on it but if it doesn't fit the criteria then I guess it's out of luck..."

"I'm so sad that Pluto isn't a planet anymore. I did a report on it when I was in fourth grade...that I still have..."

"Pluto is very small--if Eris isn't a planet, Pluto shouldn't be one."

"There are scientific facts to prove why Pluto should not be a planet."

Ask the instructor an anonymous question, or make a comment. Selected questions/comments may be discussed in class.
"Why does it matter if Pluto is classified as a planet or a dwarf planet?" (Because it really does matter to some people.)

"Do you think Pluto should be a planet?" (Did we talk about grandfather clauses in class already? If I haven't already, let me tell you my personal feelings about this.)

No comments: