20081011

Education research: partial credit for multiple-choice questions (PCMC) student attitudes (Fall semester 2008)

During Fall semester 2008, Cuesta College students taking Astronomy 210 (introductory astronomy) at Cuesta College, San Luis Obispo, CA have piloted the use of partial credit for multiple-choice (PCMC) questions.

During the seventh week of instruction (after taking three 10-question quizzes), students were given the opportunity to evaluate PCMC in an online "Partial Credit for Multiple-Choice (PCMC) Survey" hosted by SurveyMonkey.com.

These are the complete survey results. Analysis will be forthcoming after more data has been compiled from future semesters. Values for the mean and standard deviations are given next to the modal response category for each question. Note that the order of questions within sections II and III were randomly scrambled for each student.
Partial Credit for Multiple-Choice Survey
Cuesta College
Astronomy 210 Fall Semester 2008 sections 70158, 70160
(N = 40)

I. In order to receive credit for completing this survey,
first enter your first and last name below:
____


II. Recall that for this semester there is PCMC = "partial
credit for multiple choice," where you can get partial
credit even after circling a wrong answer, if you have
also eliminated an incorrect answer by marking it with
an "x."
Answer the following statements which may or may not
describe your beliefs about PCMC in this class.
Because of PCMC...

II.1 ...I read questions more carefully.
1. Strongly disagree 1 : *
2. Disagree 1 : *
3. Neutral 3 : ***
4. Agree 19 : ******************* [4.2 +/- 0.9]
5. Strongly agree 16 : ****************

II.2 ...I spend more time taking a test.
1. Strongly disagree 1 : *
2. Disagree 4 : ****
3. Neutral 9 : *********
4. Agree 16 : **************** [3.7 +/- 1.0]
5. Strongly agree 9 : *********

II.3 ...I feel more confident about circling a correct choice.
1. Strongly disagree 2 : **
2. Disagree 5 : *****
3. Neutral 9 : *********
4. Agree 19 : ******************* [3.5 +/- 1.0]
5. Strongly agree 5 : *****

II.4 ...I look for incorrect choices before circling a correct choice.
1. Strongly disagree 2 : **
2. Disagree 7 : *******
3. Neutral 6 : ******
4. Agree 11 : *********** [3.7 +/- 1.3]
5. Strongly agree 14 : **************

III. Answer the following statements which may or may not describe
your beliefs about PCMC in this class.

III.1 PCMC helped me answer test questions better.
1. Strongly disagree 0 :
2. Disagree 3 : ***
3. Neutral 10 : **********
4. Agree 17 : ***************** [3.9 +/- 0.9]
5. Strongly agree 10 : **********

III.2 I would recommend using PCMC in future semesters of this class.
1. Strongly disagree 0 :
2. Disagree 0 :
3. Neutral 0 :
4. Agree 22: ********************** [4.5 +/- 0.5]
5. Strongly agree 18 : ******************

III.3 Having PCMC a positive experience.
1. Strongly disagree 0 :
2. Disagree 0 :
3. Neutral 1 : *
4. Agree 29 : ***************************** [4.2 +/- 0.5]
5. Strongly agree 10 : **********

III.4 Using PCMC was difficult.
1. Strongly disagree 22 : **********************
2. Disagree 15 : *************** [1.5 +/- 3.5]
3. Neutral 3 : ***
4. Agree 0 :
5. Strongly agree 0 :

III.5 I would identify incorrect choices even without PCMC.
1. Strongly disagree 0 :
2. Disagree 5 : *****
3. Neutral 14 : **************
4. Agree 16 : **************** [3.5 +/- 0.9]
5. Strongly agree 5 : *****

IV. (Optional.) Please type in any comments you may have regarding
the use of PCMC in this class.
The following are all of the student responses to this question, verbatim and unedited.
"P-Pre-ordained C-Cows M-Maul C-Children Mwaaahahaaahaa"

"I think it makes you read the questions more carefully so you can make sure that if you don't know the answer you can at least get some credit for knowing what's NOT the answer, which I think somewhat reinforces knowledge."

"I try my hardest in this class adn I still suck!....Ah"

"I think that using PCMC is another way we can earn points on out tests. Knowing the wrong answer is like know what the right answer is. I believe it is helpful and that every class should use this system."

"In my opinion, PCMC is a really great idea. I don't know how anyone could not like the ability to receive extra credit. It doesn't change the way I read or answer questions on a quiz, but I do appreciate the partial credit if I'm not sure on a question. Every point counts on these killer Astronomy quizzes, right? :)"

"As far as the top questions I'm not sure I understood the exact meaning, I wasn't trying to contradict myself if i inadvertently did..."
It helps out.

"I like using PCMC because if I get a question wrong on the test but I "X" out the wrong answer, I still get partial creadit and it still gives me a chance to do well on the test even if i don't answer correctly."

"Partial credit for multiple choice is a great way to get points even if you miss the question. Sometimes i know wrong answers but i can not make up my mind on the correct answer. In this case PCMC is a great way to reward students for at least being able to identify wrong answers."

"At least you get credit if get the wrong answer and some credit is better than none"

"I dig it."

"My tactic is to find the right answer first, when I achieve this, I cross out the one I know is incorrect. Other times, if I am unsure with a correct answer, the thought of PCMC gives me a glimpse of hope. Otherwise, PCMC is not a system I employ to answer a question correctly, but it does make me consider each answer, and this perhaps leads to better scores in the end."

"I feel like I am always sure which answer could be incorrect on quiz's and i use PCMC everytime whether i am sure on a question or not. I don't always feel like my points get counted for crossing out an answer. I think it really would be helpful to use PCMC if their were good results for it. It shows we know the answer, but the question was confusing."

"I think it is beneficial overall. I have never crossed another instructor who has done it, so I hope you inspire others. The only complaint would be it seems it would be harder to grade with precision."

"PCMC is helpful because it directs my thoughts to eliminate the incorrect answers and that helps with choosing the correct one."

"I like PCMC, because sometimes I am not sure about the answers, but I know some answers are not correct. Because of PCMC, I still have chances to get points. This is a good system."

"I don't know a lot about astronomy, so the partial credit really helps"

No comments: