20080315

Bon mots: work

"I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours."
--Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog), 1889

"I don't want to be immortal through my work. I want to be immortal through not dying."
--Woody Allen

"It is the first of all problems for a man to find out what kind of work he is to do in this universe."
--Thomas Carlyle

"Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion."
--C. Northcote Parkinson, "Parkinson's Law," The Economist, 1955

"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment."
--Robert Benchley

"You will know your enemies because they're the ones that interfere with the work."
--Bette Davis

"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."
--Henry J. Kaiser

"My life had such potential, she told me, before I found out how much work was involved."
--Brian Andreas, "Potential Energy"

"The world is full of willing people, some willing to work, the rest willing to let them."
--Robert Frost

No comments: