20070813

Education research: age factor in collaborative clicker questions

An unsolicited observation from a Cuesta College Astronomy 10 (introductory astronomy) student regarding collaborative clicker questions during review sessions, as discussed in the previous post: Formative, Summative, and Cooperative Clicker Instruction in Astronomy (Cosmos in the Classroom 2007).
I am only 32 [years old] but my perspective on [collaboration clicker questions] are a bit different. I found out that if time was running out and there was no sure answer for the CPS question, I could blurt anything out and the majority of the class would follow suit like sheep. I probably should have kept track of the times I did that so you could compare data. The older students in the class are less interested in participation with others, and were more likely to answer on their own anyway. I realize that this data is subjective, but I am willing to bet that if you rejected 25+ [year-old students] you would see a statisticial difference in the results. You would probably see the difference in attitude also.
--S.S., Spring 2006

No comments: